Mr. Ramesh Mehta
Member of Lions Fraternity for past 45 years.
Area of Intervention: To eliminate blindness from western province around Kisumu
The major causes of blindness in this region are cataract and refractive error. Over the years, there has been a strong focus to address the cataract blindness – more so with Free Eye Camps in rural areas. In Western Province around Kisumu, cataract as a cause of blindness is still very widespread and with no dedicated facility to serve the population in this region, the condition gets worse. This is noted during the free eye camps which are flooded with hundreds of people.
PRESENTLY SERVING AS
- Regional Council Chairman St. Johns Ambulance, Kisumu County.
- Trustee – Hindu Council of Kenya.
- Trustee – Lions SightFirst Eye Hospital, Nairobi.
- Trustee – Jalaram Academy.
- Chairman KIFA- Kenya India Friendship Association, Kisumu Chapter.
- Board Member- Sabatia Eye Hospital from 1996 to date.
- Member of the Board of the Uzima University of Medical Science.
- Non-Executive Director – Bank of Baroda (Kenya) Limited appointed in June 2017.
- Chairman of the Board of Management of Jaramogi Oginga Odinga Teaching & Referral Hospital – appointed by Hon. Governor of Kisumu County.
- Member of Kisumu Comprehensive Cancer Centre Project (KCCCP) Implementation Team.
- Chairman of Lions Eye & Medical Centre in Kisumu which is currently under construction.
- He was also instrumental in bringing the Sabatia Eye Hospital project from Lions of Germany.
- He has also rendered services in many other Medical and Eye camps sponsored by Lions Clubs.
- He has presided over a number of Harambees and raised funds for various needy projects in Kenya.
- Ramesh C. Mehta was born in Bhanvad, India, and had his primary and secondary education in Kisumu. Later he obtained a diploma in Business Management and in his spare time he pursued an Interior Decoration course as his hobby.
- Ramesh C. Mehta was unanimously elected the District Governor for Lions International District 411 (Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, and Ethiopia) at the 32nd Annual District Convention held in Dar es Salaam in April 1994. He is an active member of the Lions Fraternity for the past 45 years.
- SPECIAL RECOGNITION (MILESTONES)
- He has earned many awards both locally & at International levels; some of the notable ones are:
- He is decorated with 100% District Governor’s Award & District Governor’s
- Excellence Award from the International Association of Lions Clubs.
- In January, 1997-The Nyanza Provincial Commissioner appointed him a Special Secretary of this Committee.
- Committee of 11 people to look into Terms and Conditions of Service for Police, Administration Police, Prison Officers, and The National Youth Service, for the Republic of Kenya. He was also appointed
- December 2006 in recognition of outstanding and distinguished services rendered to the nation in various capacities and responsibilities.
- The Hospital of St. John of Jerusalem has granted the dignity of an Officer Brother of the Most Venerable Order of Kisumu for his services to mankind.